Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mitred socks class

My close friend Sherri and I took a knitting class today at Madrona Fiber Arts in Tacoma.  When I signed up for it, I had no idea that the instructor was Jane Slicer-Smith - author of the Swing Swagger Drape book.  In fact, I knew little about the class other than we were going to knit mitred socks.  Well - it wasn't exactly mitred socks as I had envisioned but it was a good class just the same.  I wouldn't say that the teacher was a spectacular instructor either since we basically just followed the pattern and she came around to help as needed.  What I did get from the class however, is a better sense of how to integrate mitred knitting into purses/booties/shawls and sweaters.  Mitred knitting is quite simple but understanding the foundation to this technique and how to apply it is really what I gained from this class.  I have flipped through the pages of this book before but to see the actual garments in person and have people model them is a totally different story.  The jackets were far more stunning and flattering on and the workmanship and construction were incredible.  The jackets are truly a work of art.  I have such an appreciation for this book now and for the designer behind the book.  Wow - am I ever excited now for my class tomorrow with Margret Radcliffe - a name I do recognize!


go to:  http://www.sigknit.com/ for more mitred knitting patterns and photos.

No comments:

Search This Blog


About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of 2 girl's, 12 and 15, a wife of 21 years and an obsessed knitter. I'm an avid gardener and cook.