Friday, May 15, 2009

Teaching future knitters



Today was a great - if not exhausting day. My knitting buddies and I went to our kids' elementary school to teach knitting. Every year, they have this day called "Imagination Celebration" where the children get to pick from 30 different activities - ranging from hip hop to building bird houses. There are 3 sessions (1 hour each) and the kids get to request what sessions they want. I have been doing this event for the past 4 years and it's so much fun. Every year it exhausts me and I question if I want to do it again. Last year, while I was walking to my daughters class room after this event, a little girl ran clear across the playground to thank me for teaching her to knit. I had to hold back the tears...and then I walked on cloud 9 for the rest of the day. It's not that the kids are difficult to teach, it's that it's painful to watch them pull their knitting needles apart from one another as far as they can go or watching stitches fling off their needles - never to be caught again. Or, their dexterity needs to be oiled like the tin man. Some get frustrated but about halfway through the class you can hear the kids mumbling how much fun it is and how they want to do it again next year. We even had 3 boys this year. Later, the teachers come up to me and let me know how proud their students were when they walked back to class wearing their friendship bracelet or choker. So today, we taught 32 - 3rd to 5th graders how to knit. It's been a good day.....I could use a nap though!
Thanks Sherri, Sue and Kristen - I couldn't have done it without you!


















No comments:

Search This Blog


About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of 2 girl's, 12 and 15, a wife of 21 years and an obsessed knitter. I'm an avid gardener and cook.