Friday, November 6, 2015

Souvenirs to last a lifetime

I find myself feeling overwhelmed with sentimental souvenirs from my many travels over the past 30 years.  I can't seem to throw them away - it's as if I am throwing away the memories from that trip.  For example, I have a black mask that I purchased in Venice, Italy in 1982 that I can't seem to let go of.  I had a Swiss clock from Switzerland and a Norwegian hand knit sweater from Norway that I have also been lugging around since 1982.  None of it goes with my décor these days and the sweater is small, itchy and has a hole in it.  Those are my oldest souvenirs, I still have all of the mugs and trinkets from the other 30 trips since 1982. 

So this past month, I changed my souvenir shopping to a whole new approach.  I now only buy local foods (honey, coffee, chocolates....) to savor when I get home and YARN! 

 

Yarn will last a life time - good quality yarn, anyway.  This one, although very spendy ($40!) is from Wyoming.  I'm not sure what hand pulled Bison is but I'm in love with the Bison here and had to have some of  their fiber.  It's local, supporting 2 small businesses - the indie fiber company and the local yarn shop where I purchased it. 

No comments:

Search This Blog


About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of 2 girl's, 12 and 15, a wife of 21 years and an obsessed knitter. I'm an avid gardener and cook.