Thursday, February 26, 2009

Where have all the knitters gone????


I just got back from a south caribbean cruise. It took 2 long flights to get us to San Juan, Puerto Rico and 2 long flights back. We were on a ship with 3,200 other passengers for 7 days. I brought some socks to work on and the neon hot pink leg warmers to finish for my daughter. First of all - I had 3 sets of 24" metal circular needles in hand and had no problems making it through security. In the past, I always made sure I had bamboo or plastic. So that was nice not having my life support taken from me. But....I must say...where have all the knitters gone??? I didn't see anyone in any of the 4 airports nor on the ship knit nor crochet. Yikes. Nor did I have anyone approach me as in the past mentioning that they too knit and asking me about the project I was working on. Let me tell you - I saw plenty of bored and impatient travelers. Had they been knitters, they would have been more content sitting for hours on end - especially on these 5 hour flights. Yes, I did get the leg warmers done and just in time for the last bit of our winter! Pattern is out of a Dale of Norway booklet using their Falk Neon yarn.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hi Lisa, My mom, daughter and I just got back from a Mexican Riviera cruise. (The guys do the Alaska fishing trip every summer so the girls go get some much needed sun) Flew down to San Diego, my mom and I knit the whole time, even on the ship. We were the only ones on the ship knitting or crocheting. Although we didn't see any other knitters we had lots of comments made to us and even a very handsome pilot came up to us and admired our work at the San Diego Airport. A lady from Tacoma was reading, "The Friday Night Knitting Club," at Seatac and spoke to us. My 15 year old daughter was crocheting a scarf. So we were a busy threesome. I brought a Noro sock yarn scarf I was making. Something simple for travel. I signed up for a sock class in Port Orchard, are you going to be the instrucor? If so, looking forward to meeting you! :o)

Adrienne

Lisa Ellis said...

Hi Adrienne - So all of the knitters are on the West Coast instead of the East Coast then! I tell you...I couldn't handle sitting in an airport - or on a ship without my knitting. I would go bonkers. Did you get the scarf done?

I normally teach beginning Socks - but my schedule got mixed around so I might not be teaching your class. You'll love the class though - we have good instructors.

Search This Blog


About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of 2 girl's, 12 and 15, a wife of 21 years and an obsessed knitter. I'm an avid gardener and cook.