Thursday, July 30, 2009

What constitutes a true friend???

As I wipe sweat from my forehead in our non-air conditioned home where the tempatures have soared past 100 degrees, I realize that I have found the meaning to a good friendship. I have a few deadlines...one of which is to photograph a super bulky vest in super hot wool. So - with the deadline fast approaching, I realize that I am still in need a 1 last photograph. So who can I call at the last minute that I know will drop what she's doing for a friend??? Yup, my knitting BFF - aka www.simazenthings.com. On her way out to dinner - she stops by my house, dons on a long sleeved shirt, pulls on the 5 lbs. of super bulky wool and poses for the camera. Yes, I can hardly focus because my face thinks it's getting a facial! And I'm the one in shorts and a tank top! She never complained, she let me pose her and re-pose her in the 99 degree shade.

Now, I probably would not have come to know her and like her as I have if it weren't for knitting. She, as well as a small group of friends meet once a week to knit. There is where we actually can chat and really learn about eachother that just wouldn't be possible at school, while volunteering together or with kids demanding our attention. What other hobby allows you to sit down and chat with a friend while accomplishing something at the same time? I've tried that while playing tennis - but I'm too out of breath or I can't hear her without my hearing aids. Knitting is truly more than a hobby....it has brought be some great friends that I have known and seen in the school hallways for years yet would have never gotten to know them on the level that I have if it wasn't for our mutual interest and passion in knitting. If don't have a knitting group - I urge you to find one. I never expected to gain such good friends out of a knitting group - and I wish I had had the courage to start this group up years ago.

Thank you Sherri -

2 comments:

Knitting Nerds said...

Ahhh shucks... such kind words, THANKS! Anything for a wonderful BFF like you. It's the least I can do. We should play some evening tennis one of these days, after Andrew gets home from work so he can watch the kids. I love playing with you and I miss it! We really didn't get to play much this spring.

Lisa Ellis said...

I'm all for it! We could even do it during the day if the kids promise to play at the playground and not bother us!

I really miss tennis too!

Search This Blog


About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of 2 girl's, 12 and 15, a wife of 21 years and an obsessed knitter. I'm an avid gardener and cook.